Course and Profession

There's an interesting topic going on the radio today. Are you working on a profession that is based on the course that you studied?

Most of the student who just graduated from their tertiary education would prefer to choose a profession that is based on the course that they studied. Well, it's pretty straight forward isn't it? You studied engineering, then you work as an engineer; you studied accounts, then you work as an accountant; you read law, then you work as a lawyer. 

While some profession do follow the rule, such as lawyers and doctors; other jobs may not be the same, especially in business and banking.

Take example of my friends, some of them ventured into professions that is totally different field from what they studied in uni. This doesn't mean that they are not suitable for the job. One shouldn't constrain themselves into just one field of choice. Your previous selection might not be your current selection, your current selection might not be your future selection. 

Confucius once said, the only constant is the world it the world is changing. The world is dynamic, everyday we have different things happening here and there. Same goes to human, what you think during your child age might not be the same during teen age; what you think during study might not be the same as what you think during work.

I love to study engineering, but I do not like to work as an engineer. It doesn't represent my purpose of studying engineering. I like to create new things, but the work of an engineer, generally in Malaysia, doesn't involve innovation. Sometimes I do really doubt, do I really want to become an engineer? After started work, my interest towards business, finance and economy grew stronger and stronger. Every time when I read news or article about these field, I felt very excited. The more I read, the more I need to read. The continuous learning, can drive me to read non stop, even until late night.

Perhaps, I should consider to change field as well. But, is it too late? Hmm..

"Better late, than never.."

0 comments:

Post a Comment